Thursday, April 30, 2009

Why I Love Baseball... or....Welcome To The Family

This past Tuesday I had the opportunity to go to the Diamondbacks Cubs game with some friends, and it was a blast. What made this game even more fun was that it was the first baseball game I took my fiance to. The whole ride up to the stadium I just talked her ear off about how much fun she was going to have and told her baseball is like a family. I explained that Basketball is a sport about ego, Football is a sport about being macho, and Baseball is about family. She didn't understand but I knew she soon would.

We had a great time at the game. We ate cheap hot dogs and just enjoyed friends. While we were getting food she noticed that people were high fiving me and giving me nods and asked "what was that all about," to which I replied, "Family." I was wearing my Boston Red Sox hat and other sox fans were just giving their respects. Well after the game we walked past the bars as all of the cubbies fans were celebrating their huge win against the D-Backs, and they start talking to us. This one guy, who noticed my hat, told us its all about believing in something and that Boston had 2004 and the cubs will have 09. He then went on to tell us about his amazing wife and started crying and then said go cubs and walked off. Kristen commented that that was a little weird, to which I just smiled. Then that guys nephew who was super drunk, started talking to us. He asked what Kristen did for a living after he found out that she was native Arizonian, and she told him that she was a teacher. This started an hour long conversation because he was a teacher as well. He went off on how students don't do homework and how they don't realize that they are hurting themselves in the long run. As we were rescued by a friend, the guy yelled Go Cubbies, and walked away. I then hugged Kristen and said that is what baseball is all about...Family.

1 comment:

Jason and Melissa Schneider said...

I remember those two guys after the game. They were crazy funny. I am glad that you and Kristen were able to come to the game.